The IPF takes the privacy and security of its members' data seriously. We have published this data protection guide to ensure that our members are fully informed on what data we hold and how it is used.
What information do we hold and how do we obtain it?
Our database holds information on which organisation you work for and contact information (tel, ddi, fax, email), home address and telephone number, date of birth, job title, region, committee membership, qualifications and payment status. No individual's finance details are held on the database.
Generally, we receive information directly from members.
For what purpose do we use your information?
- To provide you with necessary communications, such as AGM notices
- To administer your membership, such as collection of subscriptions
- To provide you with membership benefits such as the journal Investment Property Focus
- To provide you with details of relevant events, publications etc
- To administer committees and working groups
- Third party mailings
Member data may also be used to provide mailing lists to selected and relevant 3rd party suppliers for direct marketing (unless you indicate that you do not wish your details to be disclosed). These mailing lists will include names, job titles and addresses. Email addresses are never provided for the purpose of 3rd party mailing. If you do not wish your data to be provided to 3rd parties for direct marketing please contact Sue Forster.
Caring for your data
We undertake that we will have in place a level of security appropriate to the nature of the data and the harm that might result from a breach of security. Data is held on our central membership system. We further undertake that we will:
- Not hold information about you which is excessive in relation to the purpose(s) for which it is used.
- Use only the very latest data provided by you - to help us do this, please keep us informed if any of your details change.
- Not keep information for any purpose longer than is necessary. We may retain your records (for example upon resignation) to enable us to resolve any subsequent queries and comply with legislative requirements.
- Process your information in accordance with your rights under the Data Protection Act.
You have certain rights under the Data Protection Act in relation to the information that we hold about you.
Access to personal data - You may request by writing to the address below, details of the information that we hold about you and the purpose for which it is held. Provision of such information will be subject to a charge, currently £10. Your request will be met within 40 days of receiving the request and fee.
You are entitled to require us to stop using information about you for the purposes of direct marketing. Direct marketing means the communication of any advertising or marketing material which is directed to you.
Who has access to your data?
- Staff of the Investment Property Forum, who are only permitted to make changes to our central membership database when they are trained.
- External suppliers of mailing and database services etc to the IPF. Any supplier of this kind is subject to a data confidentiality agreement.
Investment Property Forum
New Broad Street House
35 New Broad Street
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7194 7920
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7194 7921
The Information Commissioner
If you wish to know more about your rights in respect of protection of personal data, please contact:
Information Commissioner's Office
Tel: +44 (0) 1625 545700